Thursday, July 15, 2010

Do you want to learn what you think? Start writing.

Do you still think you have too much to learn about the craft of writing before you start figuring out your story? Are you spending more time at the store picking out your notebook than writing in it? Are you waiting for your teacher to show up, the one who will show you how to begin? I do this too. So who will teach us to write? Who will teach us how to begin? "The page," says Annie Dillard, "the page, that eternal blankness...which you cover woodenly, ruining it, but asserting your freedom and power to act." She said more, but I stopped reading so that I could start asserting my right to ruin a page. Question: Why are you here with me, now? Exactly how bad do you want to find freedom?

No comments:

Post a Comment